Southern summer is always dangerous for the few forests of the Rostov region. Photo: Ministry of Natural Resources and Ecology of the Republic of Kazakhstan
How do the “green lungs” of the Don area feel now, where are the main problems and what is being done to ensure our children a healthy “tomorrow”? The most important environmental issues were discussed on the radio “Komsomolskaya Pravda in Rostov”. The guest of the studio was the Minister of Natural Resources and Ecology of the Rostov Region Mikhail Fishkin.
– Mikhail Valerievich, in a discussion on ecology, it seems to me that the ecological culture of the population is very important. There is a lot of talk about it today, but what is real about this introduction to production?
– Of course, one of the participants here is environmental education. We do informative work in this regard. We hand out leaflets, kindergartens and schools do environmental classes, for example, for separate waste collection. At the end of last year, the so-called variable modules for integration in the educational process and related to environmental education were developed. This material was sent to all educational institutions, including kindergartens. Of course we do not have the compulsory course “Ecology”, but now, as far as the educational part is concerned, these modules will be included in the learning process.
One of the priority tasks is to improve the Don River.
A photograph: Michael FROLOF
– You said “we do environmental lessons”. Who exactly is following?
– Specialists of the Ministry. Including me. When I travel around the area, if there is an hour or two, we arrange in advance in schools to meet with students in the form of an ecology discussion. The children are very curious, they ask a lot of questions. I also ask them, for example, which rivers in the Rostov region do you know?
– Well, of course, Don, – the students go off!
– You’re right, Don you know everything. But they are often limited to them. These are interesting and informative meetings. I hope many will find out later that their share falls to their peers.
– Mikhail Valerievitch, since we are talking about rivers. The major national project “Ecology” includes the regional project “Conservation of water bodies”. For the Rostov region, the most important direction.
– You’re right. Directing is very important. Last year, this regional project focused on two activities, along the Temernik River in our city. A clearing project has been developed from the Shchepkinsky Forest to the Upper Reservoir (Surb Khach area). The second project on the effects of Temernik waters. It is no secret that our river Temernik was, to put it mildly, collapsing. But you have to understand that you can not quickly put things in order. This is a great job, designed for years. Temernik facilities for the attraction of the Rostovites, as you can tell now.
In addition, we carried out various activities to clean the Olkhovaya rivers, this year we will clean the Glubokaya rivers, in general, an important point is the program in which we start cleaning 32 water bodies.
The district will reprint the Rostov-on-Don Red Book. Photo: Ministry of Natural Resources.rf
– There is another regional project “Forest Conservation”. It is necessary for the Rostov region, because it is no secret that our region is sparsely forested.
– We do not have the so-called functional forests, they are only protective. And for this very reason – the issue of collecting and increasing our forest wealth is the most topical. Of course, in recent years there has been an increase in the planting of forest crops. Last year we planted 1,600 acres of young forests. In the expected year, 1700 acres are planned to be planted. Thus it is planned to increase the number of landings to 1900 hectares by 2024. Of course in the context of the state project for equipment upgrade. Not only forest fire, but also forest planting. Next year we will approach a 100% renewal of the forest firefighting equipment.
– After all, forests are not only nourished in renewal, but also in protection. What is the task of forest fire prevention in management?
– 2021 can be called successful in this sense. In case of five lightning fires, they were eliminated immediately within the first day. Last year, thanks to the decision of the governor, additional funds were allocated for the purchase of 12 video cameras. We now have 60 cameras, which are monitored for fire safety. Last year we integrated these cameras into the Safe City system. Also last year, money was allocated for the maintenance of 14 forest fire stations. In the expected year, 7 new stations will appear, which presuppose the need to extinguish the approach time to the ignition point. All this is aimed, first of all, at preventing fires, because it is always better to prevent a fire than to fight the fire heroically later.
The southern part of the region is known for its wild steppe tulips. Photo: Rostov Reserve website
– Another trend is eco-tourism. Let’s take a closer look at what it contains today.
– The Rostov region is unique. Our magnificent north, where our concentrations are scattered, is the steppe southeast, the middle lane with the rivers. And everywhere there are the same attractions that tourists already enjoy using today. If we are talking about holidays, then this is the festival “Glorified Steppe” in the Orlovsky region, which will take place every year and this year will be the tenth anniversary festival. Here you can see the incredible beauty of the spectacle: the flowering of tulips. Last year, seven thousand people gathered in “Sung Steppe” and this in view of the pandemic. We have locations where we opened new ecological paths last year. For example, in the Ust-Donetsk region, the slopes of discord, there is a nursery and an ethnographic museum. Last year we opened six such trails in different areas.
– As for the animals and birds of our area. Among them there are completely individual samples. What is being done to preserve them, and not only in the museum for them, not only in the pictures on the table …
– At the expense of additional funds, we purchased 19 off-road vehicles to monitor wildlife conservation. Continuous work is being done to prevent and suppress the events of poaching. In addition, it is important to note that we collect collections of plant and animal species found in the Red Book, we will soon be republishing the Red Book of the area. In 2021, we encountered 54 fallow deer, about 70 red deer, more than 3.5 thousand ducks in their natural habitat.
Fires are easier to prevent than to put out.
A photograph: Ivan MAKEF
– At the moment, given the Internet, has it become more difficult to file complaints against the locals, some of their requests and their help?
– I will not say it more difficult. We have become very effective. We monitor everything necessary and install the vaccine with lightning speed. If this is our responsibility, the inspectors immediately try to go to the points to detect, to record any violations. If it concerns another body that is redirected to the address. The Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources has a business on duty, contacts can be found on the ministry’s website. Let us know. Do not be shy.
– But this is not a constant complaint, but a real job for many? For example, are you willing to go out with subbotniks?
– For example, we have about 50 full-time inspectors in our area. This is such a social burden, but it is a very important issue. We gladly accept people in the ranks of elected inspectors. You must be 18 years old, pass the exams and issue a certificate for one year, do information work with six people, talk about how to record a violation. Such inspectors have curators in the ministry. On March 22 we start the days of protection from environmental hazards, and these are the subbotniks and the days of tree planting, a whole series of events during which the most active participation takes place. Thank you for your indifference.
20 fallow deer were released into the wild
Hunting farms are also involved in wildlife replenishment work (more)
In the Rostov region, it was proposed to connect the Don and the Volga with another canal
There are no clear decisions for the project yet, but such a step could help solve problems with low water consumption (more)