The scientific director of the Roman Vifand Hydrometeorological Center spoke about the weather forecast in Russia for the next six months
A photograph: Michael FROLOF
The forecasts of the Hydrometeorological Center of Russia made a forecast for the summer – or rather, for the entire warm semester of the year, from April to September 2022. They guessed it for their business vacation: March 23 is World Meteorological Day, In Russia this holiday is called Hydrometeorological Day.
“More than 35,000 people in our country are connected to the hydrometeorological service – they are meteorologists, IT specialists and people of other specialties and, most importantly, observers of meteorological stations,” said the scientific director of the Hydrometeorological Center of Russia. Roman Wilfand.
What will be the summer of 2022 in Russia? In short – hot and dry.
– During all 6 months throughout Russia, we do not expect the weather to be colder than the climate norm – everywhere it is either close to the norm or warmer, – thanks Roman Vilfan. But he recalled the characteristics of the forecasts for such a long period:
– Long-term forecasts may not be as accurate as in the coming days. Chances are, we predict anomalies, temperature deviations and rainfall from the climatic norm on average per month. Each region has its own rules – it is clear that it is usually warmer in Krasnodar than in Arkhangelsk. Last year, a similar forecast came true at 72%, which is a very high percentage for a long-term forecast, one of the best in the world.
April 2022. Photo: meteoinfo.ru
Hereinafter, we name those areas where meteorologists promise any anomalies. In the rest – everything is within the norm, normal weather.
– In the European territory of Russia, the Urals, in Western Siberia, in the south of the Federal District of the Far East, the temperature will be above the norm. Rainfall shortages and, most importantly, the risk of early fires are expected in the south of the Central Federal District – in the Tambov, Voronezh, Belgorod regions, as well as in the Altai Territory, the Kemerovo region, the Transbaikalia region, in the south of the Far East. Khabarovsk, in Primorye, in the Amur region. We are also waiting for the dry April in the south of the Urals and Siberia, – shared the details the scientific director of the Hydrometeorological Center.
There are places where in April, on the contrary, there will be more rainfall than usual – in the form of rain or snow. This is the northern part of the country, a wide strip along the coast of the Arctic Sea, from the Arkhangelsk region in the west to the north of Yakutia in the east. And also in the areas of Stavropol, Astrakhan and Volgograd.
May 2022. Photo: meteoinfo.ru
An unusually warm May will please the inhabitants of the northeastern regions of the European part of Russia (Komi, Perm region), the Volga Federal District, the Urals, the Tyumen region and the western part of the Krasnoyarsk Territory.
– Rainfall deficit – in the regions of Kursk, Belgorod, Lipetsk, Voronezh, Buryatia and Transbaikalia, in the south of the Khabarovsk Territory and in Primorye. Surplus – in northern Siberia, – said Roman Wilfand.
June 2022. Photo: meteoinfo.ru
Meteorologists promise warm anomalies in the north: in the Arkhangelsk region, in the Nenets Autonomous Okrug, in the Komi Republic, in the Perm Territory and in the north of the Krasnoyarsk Territory.
A dry start to the summer is expected in the Leningrad and Novgorod regions, in Stavropol, Kamchatka and northern Siberia.
July 2022. Photo: meteoinfo.ru
It will be warmer than usual in the Krasnoyarsk Territory, Tomsk Oblast, in the Yamalo-Nenets region.
Very little rainfall – in many areas in the west and south of the European part of Russia, from Smolensk and Kursk to Voronezh, Volgograd and Astrakhan, as well as in the Rostov region, Krasnodar Territory and Crimea. And that means that at the peak of the holiday season in the Black Sea resorts, you can count on great weather for beach holidays.
Dry July is also expected in southern Siberia, northern Yakutia, Chukotka and the Magadan region.
August 2022. Photo: meteoinfo.ru
– Above the climatic standards, we predict the temperature in Lake Baikal and in southern Siberia. “And it usually gets hot there in August,” says Wilfand.
Unusually hot and also very dry August is expected in Smolensk, Bryansk, Kursk, Voronezh, Rostov regions.
But there are places where at the end of the summer it will pour more often than usual: Kamchatka, Sakhalin, Primorye, Buryatia, Transbaikalia (yes, it is hot there), Omsk region.
September 2022. Photo: meteoinfo.ru
– Indian summer in 2022, unlike last year, will be real – hot and dry, promised Roman Wilfand. This optimistic forecast concerns Moscow and most parts of the European part of Russia, as well as the Urals.
Wilfand: There are five times more natural disasters
Bad weather costs 115 lives every day and the global economy loses $ 202 million every day because of it (more)