The fox was shot in Izhevsk Photo: video screenshot
The day before, on March 31, a reader of Komsomolskaya Pravda sent several videos to the editorial office. A fox runs between the buildings near Flagman Mall. The animal looks confused, avoids people and cars.
“I met her yesterday at about 23:00. “The cars did not know how to get through it,” said the girl.
This is not the first time that residents of the capital Udmurtia have encountered a wild animal in the city, but it is noteworthy that this time it turned out to be so far from the forest.
WHY IS THE FOX COMING TO THE CITY?
We turned to a biologist to find out what made the fox appear to humans and how to behave in such contact.
Do not touch the foxes with your hands, rabies can be transmitted even through the saliva of an animal that has entered the skin
A photograph: Alexander KOTS, Dmitry STESHIN
“Wild animals go to human habitation in search of food or during resettlement. For the fox, the city is a tempting area in terms of food supply. “These animals easily adapt to the consumption of waste and if people start feeding them, they generally lose their fear,” the expert explained.
The biologist suggests that this fox could be “lost” in search of a mate.
“Around February to March, these animals in Udmurtia have a rut and their behavior changes,” he notes.
Do not try to catch a wild animal, however gentle and beautiful it may seem.
A photograph: Michael FROLOF
The expert gave many recommendations:
– when you meet a wild animal, it is better to bypass it.
– you have to be especially careful with foxes – they are the main carriers of rabies in our democracy.
– we must remember that infected animals often go to humans. you do not need to try to pet or pet a wild animal, even if it seems completely domesticated.
– a meeting with a wild animal can be reported to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection; experts will take the necessary measures.
Note that even an injured animal should not be transported home. Two years ago, a woman from Izhevsk rescued a dying fox and was fined for it.
Do not touch homeless and wild animals – they can be carriers of many diseases
A photograph: Nikolai Alexandrov
WHAT IS THE SITUATION WITH THE ANGER IN UDMOURTY THIS YEAR?
Aleksey Gurov, Head of the Department of Anti-Epizootic Measures and Non-Communicable Diseases, helped us resolve this issue.
What is the expected state of rabies in 2022?
– At the level of 2021, about five cases of infection are expected. It is difficult to predict, the outcome can be affected by many factors, including the number of foxes and how the vaccine will be given, but no significant increase is expected.
What external signs can be used to determine if an animal is sick with rabies?
– Today it is very difficult to diagnose the disease with external signs. Previously, they paid attention to salivation, aggression, consumption of inedible. Today, however, the picture is very different. It is important to vaccinate your pets early and watch for changes in their behavior.
Is there a planned pet vaccination campaign in Udmurtia?
– The campaign against this disease is carried out continuously throughout the year. Usually each pet is vaccinated once a year. To do this, the owners turn to the veterinary service, where specialists are vaccinated free of charge. And there is also a practice when veterinarians themselves travel to settlements so that locals do not have to transport animals to the city. You can check with veterinary stations for such actions. The next offer will take place within the month from April 1 to May 2022.
Is it possible to vaccinate stray animals in Udmurtia?
– During the year, all shelters must be vaccinated. And with the help of volunteers, wild animals are also grafted, also for free, we have no refusals.
Look for us on Telegram and Viber – there is the most up-to-date and up-to-date information from KP-Izhevsk.
– Wildlife photographer from Izhevsk: “I was chasing a fox who stole a glove from my backpack”
– Get ready for the future and find out accordingly: what about imported drugs in Izhevsk
– “I was like a lover who betrayed him”: a woman and her son were tormented by the restless soul of a man
– I could not buy hygiene products and prepare for the exams: the residents of Izhevsk were locked in Egypt for two weeks