10 rare items for taverns and taverns of old Moscow – Afisha-Restaurants

  • In the new book “Moscow – the gastronomic capital” – a fascinating story of the development of the world of Moscow restaurants from the 17th century to the present day. We publish some amazing stories that you certainly did not know.

  • 1. The oldest type of restaurant – tavern – exists since the 1620s. The taverns of the 17th – the first half of the 19th century were not allowed to sell alcohol, with the exception of light half beer. And real drink facilities have never been associated with a meal. The main among these facilities has always been a drink: a tavern (first mentioned in 1563) – a circular courtyard (1651) – a drink (1765). The name change is due to reforms in the organization of the beverage collection.

  • 2. The taverns (from 1719), and then the zerbergs (from 1746) were originally intended for visitors and were maintained by foreigners according to European analogies. That’s it the first type of facility that combined hot food and alcoholic beverages. However, from 1746, a rule was introduced: drinks sold in pubs should not be sold in gerberas and taverns. Such a procedure existed until the issuance on July 4, 1861 of the Regulations for the collection of beverages.

  • 3. The right to sell strong alcoholic beverages imposed a number of restrictions on taverns. The institution could not open closer than 40 sazen from the templesmonasteries, shrines, mosques and cemeteries, barracks, prisons, educational institutions, hospitals and almsgiving.

  • 4. At the end of the XIX century in Moscow, there were more than 300 restaurantsthe most famous of which were located in the historic center of the city.

  • Pages of the book “Moscow – the gastronomic capital”

  • 5. Kitchen inside “Slavic Bazaar” was Russian, but the service – in a European way. Chef Vladimir Ivanov was born in Paris and has had all the professional awards. A colorful designed bilingual menu (in Russian and French) offered guests the opportunity to enjoy the finest dishes of Russian cuisine: sterling, salted cartilage and mushrooms, booties, fish soup, pork with horseradish and much more. And the most desirable meal was breakfast from 12.00 to 15.00.

  • 6. Hermitage Tavern arose thanks to tobacco addiction by French-born culinary expert Lucien Olivier and 1st Guild merchant Yakov Pegov. In fact, it was a fashionable restaurant of European level, which stood out for luxurious interiors and gourmet cuisine. However, it was still called a tavern, something that accentuated the waiters’ clothes, which were called sex, and they wore clothes familiar to Muscovites in a loose white shirt.

  • 7. Yar Restaurant, founded by the French Trankil Yar, opened in 1826 in the center of Moscow, on the corner of Neglinnaya and Kuznetsky. The foundation was traditionally named after the owner. The Moskovskie Vedomosti newspaper reported the opening of a restaurant “with a lunch and dinner table, all kinds of wines and grape liqueurs, desserts, coffee and tea, at very reasonable prices”.

  • 8. In 1868, a Taverna Bolshoy Patrikeyevsky I.Ya. Testova. Starting as an employee in Guryev, Ivan Yakovlevich Testov persuaded millionaire Patrikeev to rent him a house in Okhotny Ryad. The Testovskoye facility was famous for its Russian cuisine, offering a huge selection of its own liqueurs, as well as fine French and Rhine wines. Of the food, test pigs were the most in demand. They were grown on a special farm, where they were fed mainly with cottage cheese and then, pink and tender, they were taken to Moscow and served with porridge.

  • Pages of the book “Moscow – the gastronomic capital”

  • 9. It was famous for its excellent cuisine and variety of teas. Tavern of the old faithful Yegorov in Okhotny Ryad, which was the closest test competitor. The menu consisted mainly of traditional Russian cuisine, and a special tea room, decorated in Chinese style, was available for tea. According to the established tradition, the tea was served “with alas” and “with a towel”.

  • 10. One of the most famous restaurants in the Moscow region was restaurant from the village of Vorobyov SV Krinkinlocated in Sparrow Hills. Stepan Vasilyevich opened the restaurant in 1891. He was the first of all the restaurants in Moscow to realize that a favorite Muscovite holiday could be used to set up a restaurant with an open terrace-gallery.

  • About how the canteens were built in the Soviet years, how the restaurants functioned during the Great Patriotic War and in the post-war years, how the restaurant market survived in the 1990s and other stories, as well as a list of the best restaurants in Moscow today – in the book “Moscow – the gastronomic capital”.

  • The author of the book is Alexander Ivanov, Deputy Head of the Department of Trade and Services of the city of Moscow.

  • Leave a Comment