We are all used to carrying products in the refrigerator after buying them in the store. But it turns out that even such an intimate process can be approached more consciously, so that vegetables, fruits and ready meals remain healthy and fresh for longer. Read in the TSN.ua material how to properly store food in the refrigerator.
Why is it better to store food in the refrigerator? Low temperatures slow down the growth and spread of germs, so that food stays fresh and safer for longer. However, it is not enough to just put yogurt, meat or eggs in the fridge. There are some rules for storing goods in the refrigerator. And if you follow them, then the green apples will not turn black as soon as the cooked pasta is covered with mold and the fresh cheese will not smell like fish standing on the next shelf.
What should be the temperature in the refrigerator?
Setting the right temperature is the first and very important step. The optimum is considered to be 5 degrees Celsius or lower. Some foods need to be stored at a lower temperature (such as meat), but leaving them in the freezer is not the only option. Some modern refrigerators have special drawers for fish and meat, where the temperature is always kept at zero.
What foods to store on the top shelf of the refrigerator
The upper shelves maintain a constant temperature, so here you have to leave foods that do not need to be cooked. Do not hesitate to put here the leftovers from previously prepared dishes or those products that are ready for consumption (hummus, pate). Also, the top shelf of the refrigerator is the best place for berries, drinks and greens. The latter must first be placed in a jar of water and then covered with a film.
Which products are the bottom shelves suitable for?
The lowest temperature is maintained here, therefore, on these shelves should store raw meat, seafood, fish, eggs, dairy products. They should all be left in their packaging to minimize the risk of bacteria growing. For fish and meat, make sure you have a separate place in the fridge. This way you can prevent microorganisms from spreading to other products.
Food storage rules in the refrigerator drawer
Most housewives store in drawers raw vegetables and fruits. That’s right, but many people forget an important nuance. A variety of fruits, including plums, peaches and apples, release ethylene. It is a chemical that helps them ripen faster, but it also has a negative effect on vegetables. Therefore, do not forget to store these products in the refrigerator in separate drawers. Also, do not wash them before putting them in the fridge. Due to the excessive humidity, they will deteriorate and rot faster.
What is the purpose of the shelves on the refrigerator door?
The refrigerator door often opens and therefore the temperature there is unstable. Storage on these shelves is recommended foods that are resistant to temperature changes and do not spoil so quickly. For example, juices, canned (closed), water, spices, sauces. But it is dangerous to store eggs here – it is better to take them to the bottom shelf in the refrigerator itself.
It is also worth remembering that you should not put too much pressure on the shelves with the products. It is very important that the cold air can move freely, thus cooling the food.
Which foods are best stored in the freezer
In the freezer you can save everything : from yogurts to sauces. But first you need to put the products in a bag or freezer – to store its main properties. You should also remember that although the products in the freezer are stored for a long time, it is better to consume them within 3-6 months.
Basic rules of food storage in the refrigerator that everyone should know
- Before putting the prepared dish in the refrigerator, let it cool for 2 hours (if more, bacteria can begin to multiply on its surface).
- Cooked food is best stored in separate containers.
- The cheese is best stored in a package and if you have already cut a piece, wrap the product with wax paper, foil or cling film to protect it from drying out.
- try not to freeze and thaw the product several times – the wine may spoil and cause poisoning.
- If you put milk in a separate jug, do not put it back in the package – it is better to cover the jug with cling film.
- It is best not to store openly canned food in a can – they can get a metallic taste.
20 foods you should not keep in the fridge
There is a list of products that can not be stored in the refrigerator:
- whole avocado – the cold temperature will keep the fruit unripe for a long time.
- banana – the cold prevents them from ripening.
- basil – does not tolerate cold and immediately turns black.
- bread – moisture in fresh pastries evaporates, so bakery products dry faster.
- coffee beans – due to temperature changes, condensation will form and the bean will quickly absorb unwanted odors.
- onions – absorb moisture very easily and spoil.
- garlic – can be stored no longer than 2-3 months and then the cloves will begin to rot.
- eggplant – a vegetable is 90% liquid and therefore loses nutrients in the cold.
- Melon – requires a sufficient amount of oxygen, otherwise it begins to spoil and the cut fruit is stored in the refrigerator for no more than 2-3 days.
- Tomatoes – lose their flavor properties.
- honey – candied and hardens quickly.
- sweet pepper – will not ripen, but will begin to wear out.
- kiwi – the fruit will become sour and remain hard.
- potatoes – need a constant flow of air.
- pineapple – the fruit will not ripen.
- sweet potato – the taste of the product deteriorates.
- mango – due to excessive access to moisture, it deteriorates.
- papaya – hypersensitivity to low temperatures.
- green beans – they lose their nutrients.
- hot pepper – a fresh product does not tolerate low temperatures.