The number of overweight people is increasing significantly year by year. The reasons for this are various. Bad eating habits, psychological dependence on food, when we deal with psychological stress with food. Breakfast, a snack on the run at noon, plenty of dinner late.
We often eat not because we are hungry or in need of nutrients, but because we are not satisfied with life, we can not find the best way to calm ourselves in a stressful situation. Food serves to satisfy not a normal need, but an emotional need: for love, security, acceptance, emotional satisfaction. All of these have the most adverse health effects.
According to the Nutrition Institute, in Russia 60% of women and half of men over 30 are overweight. Overweight and obesity trigger risk factors for cardiovascular and oncological diseases, diabetes, etc. And it all starts with the carelessness in the diet, the overconsumption of food and the unbalanced composition of the menu.
What foods should be excluded from the diet?
Approaching this issue realistically, it is better to talk about maximum restriction than about the complete exclusion of any products. Of course, as long as there are no serious diseases that require more strict adherence to dietary recommendations.
- Nothing but benefits for our health will bring the rejection of the so-called added sugar – this is the sugar we put in tea, we use in the form of sweets and other sweet, sweet drinks.
- It is recommended to limit alcohol consumption as much as possible. Ideally, it can be completely eliminated. The damage caused by ethanol is well established, all body systems suffer from it. The digestive system is no exception. This is especially true for the liver and pancreas.
- In the diet of a modern man, there is an excess of table salt, especially with the constant use of fast food. Excess salt can cause swelling, high blood pressure and impaired kidney function.
- It is recommended to reduce the consumption of saturated fats – these are, as a rule, fats of animal origin. We need them in limited quantities – what is already contained, for example, in meat and dairy products with a low fat content, is enough. That is, the fat added during frying, as well as used in the form of sandwiches with butter, is already unnecessary.
- Your digestive system will thank you very much if you limit as much as possible the consumption of smoked meats, pickles, marinades and overly spicy foods.
Healthy eating habits are formed in a person in the family, from childhood. So if for some reason this did not happen to you, it will be quite difficult at first. But it is possible. First, you need to set a specific goal: to set an example for your children, to influence their choices, to improve your well-being, to have more chances for healthy and active longevity, to look better, in the end.
There are a variety of techniques that facilitate the transition to a healthy diet. You should already be thinking about this at the food market stage:
- make a list of groceries in advance
- do not go to the store hungry
- read the information about the composition of each product before you buy it,
- do not even turn to confectionery departments – replace them with no less delicious, but much healthier dried fruits, berries and nuts.
- Vegetable and fruit sections, on the other hand, should be visited as often as possible – these products should be on the table at all times,
- You should try to avoid buying semi-finished products “just in case”, sausages and canned food.
It is better to get a prepared “healthy snack” for work, so that there is less temptation to dine with fast food. If it’s hard to get rid of the nightmare of chewing in front of the TV, let it be raw vegetables and fruits.
The main thing is not to wait for an instant result: a healthy diet is a principle of life, not a temporary measure. Of course, some self-discipline will be required, but it is good in any context.
The material was prepared by specialists of the Regional Clinical Center for Public Health and Medical Prevention of Voronezh in the framework of the national project “Demography”.