Official representative of Rospotrebnadzor, information curator of the Rospotrebnadzor project “Healthy eating” Ekaterina Golovkova
A photograph: Julia PYKALOVA
At SPIEF 2022, Rospotrebnadzor spokeswoman Ekaterina Golovkova, Rospotrebnadzor Healthy Nutrition Information Officer, told Komsomolskaya Pravda why millions of Russians have changed their diet over the past three years and are following suit. Finding reliable PP information is now easy – just go to health-nutrition.rf.
Enhancing the health and quality of life of Russians and improving the quality of food is one of the most important national goals. How Rospotrebnadzor works to achieve them.
– The project, which we all briefly call “Healthy Eating”, is an important part of the National Project “Demography”. Rospotrebnadzor is responsible for the implementation of the Healthy Eating project, because it is our service that oversees the quality and safety of food products, the way they are presented on store shelves, their compliance with state standards, their content of micronutrients and macronutrients. .. Also, our area of responsibility includes work for educating the population: we tell you how to choose the right product, how to read the label, how to cook, what shades to look out for … By the way, taking this opportunity, I want to say that the amount of sugar and salt in the diet is not a nuance, and one of the most important issues of healthy eating.
Sounds simple, boring and probably commonplace to many, but believe me, this is fundamentally important. Unfortunately, Russia still does not rank last in the world in terms of the prevalence of obesity. This is a serious disease that worsens the quality of life and threatens the development of other pathologies – fatal. Thus, a diet that will provide a person with good health is really extremely important.
– At the same time, many people are still convinced that a healthy diet is difficult, as a rule, it is not very tasty and not accessible to everyone … Is this true?
– When we started the Healthy Eating program in 2019, we conducted a large-scale study that showed that, on the one hand, 60% of the population is in favor of a healthy diet and understands what it is. At the same time, it has been shown that citizens perceive healthy eating as something complicated, painful, expensive and generally as a tribute to fashion. During the pandemic, people went into lockdown, then settled in the house – and to be completely honest, settled on the couch – and many started, forgive me, eating and drinking. (Studies from 2020 and 2021 have shown this.) But fortunately, there have been those who have realized that the only thing they can do for themselves and their health is to start eating right. Not because it’s a dogma they impose and so on, but because it’s a great way to keep immunity in order, which will help during (sorry, I’m sorry) trials. Because meeting a new and not very well known virus in science was really a test.
I believe that the Healthy Nutrition program of Rospotrebnadzor also played a role here, which it actively informed and enlightened. With joint efforts, after the results of 2021, we received an increase in people thinking about what they eat, how they eat and how they treat their diet precisely in terms of their health. These became 30% more. I mean the percentage of the total population of the country.
– Very serious result in a short time. By the way, has the consumption pattern of the Russians changed at the same time?
– Unfortunately, in the structure of consumption there were and still are categories of products that the Russians eat less than necessary. For example, fish and seafood. On the one hand, fish is a traditional product for us, on the other hand, you must be able to choose and cook it. You need a habit of using this product within the family. Logistics also affect the volume of consumption. We have a huge country, most fish are caught in the North and the Far East, the complexity of its transportation suggests that this product can not be very cheap a priori. However, we have a relatively cheap pollen – and this is an excellent fish, with the highest content of all “macro-” and “micro-“, in this sense it does not differ from the more expensive species.
Well, please: there is an option for every wallet. Also, the Russians still do not eat enough fruits and vegetables. It’s good that we started consuming more low-fat dairy. But generally we eat more fat than we should.
– What and how do children eat? Do they have the opportunity to switch to a healthy diet?
Recent studies show that the child receives certain genetically determined dietary preferences from the parents. Therefore, to help the child develop proper eating behavior, expectant parents should start eating just before conception – at the stage of planning a pregnancy. Second, parents should remember that a child’s diet is different from that of an adult, he should pay special attention, prepare healthy and wholesome meals and not try to put it on the common table as early as possible.
Fortunately, Russia ranks second in the world after Finland in terms of balanced nutrition for children in educational institutions. And our initiative to provide free hot meals to all children in schools is generally the only example of this being done at the expense of the state.
Parents need to pay more attention to nutritional culture. The state provided the students with hot meals, but the child returned home, sat at the table and ate whatever his parents cooked for him. Needed to provide a healthy and wholesome breakfast and dinner, controlling the amount of carbohydrates, fats, baking soda, reducing salt and sugar intake and minimizing fast food. This must be done constantly and consciously and this is the responsibility of the family alone.
– What trends in healthy eating are currently being defined?
– Trends, as always, a huge amount. But the truths, confirmed by Rospotrebnadzor experts, are collected on the portal health- food.rf. There are news, articles, comments from leading Russian experts in the field. There are sections “School of healthy eating”, “Recipe book – we cook together”, “4 seasons – a dish of a healthy person.” There is an opportunity to ask a question to the specialist. Well, the motto of the Healthy Eating program – “Simple, useful, affordable” – may well claim the status of a global trend. Healthy eating is a simple diet. Uncomplicated dishes with lobster foam. If people can afford it and love it, good luck, but for an ordinary citizen like you and me, a healthy diet is just cooked meals from understandable, simple products. With clear and legible information on the labels. Kilocalories can be calculated in any available application and the diet can be viewed on the health-nutrition.rf portal. Well, traditional and very good tips like not to overeat, spend a little more energy than you get from food. And enjoy life.
– Ekaterina, let us rejoice for the portal health- food.rf, which is constantly developing. By the way, I use it myself actively. What are the challenges facing the project in 2022?
– We are actively talking about the national cuisine, about gastronomic tourism. First of all, we single out the healthy recipes. We have joint projects for the promotion of healthy eating with the Federal Tourism Service, with Komsomolskaya Pravda Media Group. We continue to release the program “Food Formula. The best in Russia “on the channel” Russia 1. “Since its pilot release, it has reached the top in terms of number of viewers and continues to hold seats. Together with the All-Russian Children’s Center Orlyonok we organize a festival of Russian national cuisine, as well as Last year alone, more than 30,000 children from all over the country experienced these programs, and we look forward to working with Artek as well. All our projects have a mission – education – and one goal is to make today and all future generations of Russian citizens healthier, and therefore happier.
“We are strong people and we will succeed in any project”: The main thing from Vladimir Putin’s speech at SPIEF-2022
The President addressed the plenary session of the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum. He talked about special operations, relations with the West and the world order. We have shortened the speech of the head of state as much as possible (more)
Agreements worth Rs 5.6 trillion signed at SPIEF 2022
Representatives of 130 countries of the world participated in the events of the forum (more information)