Kazan has long claimed the role of the gastronomic capital of Russia. In February last year, she did it – she was given the right brand. This, incidentally, caused outrage in St. Petersburg. The restaurants in St. Petersburg have asked for the regime to be withdrawn, but so far nothing has come out and the question remains open.
The other day there was a new confirmation that Kazan is an ideal place for gourmets. Based on the open information and its own data mart, Marketing Logic evaluated the development of the catering infrastructure in the Russian big cities. Analysts gathered the top 15 largest cities in terms of satiety with cafes, restaurants, bars and fast food shops per 10 thousand inhabitants.
The leader of the ranking was the capital of Tatarstan, followed by Voronezh and Perm. The fourth place was taken by St. Petersburg. In the “restaurants” category, the capital of the North is in second place, just behind Kazan. Novosibirsk, Ufa and Chelyabinsk remained at the bottom of the standings. Moscow is in the second half of the list in eleventh place out of fifteen.
As noted by Marketing Logic Managing Partner Dmitry GalkinThe number of facilities in Kazan is comparable to the data on Spain published by the European Statistical Office.
“Kazan is certainly ahead of most indices, in addition, its indices are close to the average values of some European countries,” Galkin told a KazanFirst reporter. – The peculiarity of Kazan is that all the evaluated types of restaurants are developed in the city, while fast food is less popular.
The reasons why Kazan people do not like fast food very much may be in the tradition or demand for healthier meals. In addition, according to Dmitry Galkin, the players in this position began to develop democracy rather slowly.
“Fast food stores came to the Kazan market later, so they had less time to develop and dominate the market,” said the company’s managing partner.
Chef Eduard Zamaliev has long been spinning in the gastronomic gathering. He worked in St. Petersburg, now in Kazan, and soon wants to move to Moscow.
“There is a lot of competition in Kazan and its own peculiarities of doing business in the catering sector,” he said. – Here people are used to eating at home, but if they go to restaurants, then it should be cheap, plentiful and tasty. Only recently the people in our city are more educated in the field of catering and gastronomy. There are a large number of restaurants and chefs who, with their dedication to this field, make a huge contribution to the development of Kazan gastronomy.
Of course, the Tatar national cuisine plays a huge role in the cooking of democracy. Lately, chefs have been trying to interpret it a bit, to make it more modern.
– We are already experimenting with modern Tatar cuisine. This is probably the most unusual thing in Kazan in terms of gastronomy. “You can try modern Tatar cuisine only here, it is created by chefs who grew up in it, they improve the flavors, the forms and the combinations of flavors and aromas”, stressed Zamaliev.
The chef also noted that only in Tatarstan do they use local products. For example, cort – red cottage cheese, horse mane – lard, kazylyk – dried horse meat sausage, kaklagan kaz – dried goose and more.
Otherwise, the city, as in other areas, is dominated by European cuisine. In each facility you can find Caesar, Greek salad, mushroom soup and pasta.
– Residents and visitors of the city have always noted the gastronomic diversity of Kazan: from the national Tatar cuisine to the Eastern, Asian, traditional Western European, – said the head of the tourism development committee in Kazan Daria Sannikova.
He noted that every year the Tasty Kazan festival takes place in the city, the number of guests exceeds 65 thousand people. From 2019, the festival-exhibition “KyshDaKar-fest” is held, where agricultural products from all over the republic are brought.
– The presence of a gastronomic brand allows the city to more widely and actively represent the gastronomic and tourist potential of the capital in specialized exhibitions, including international ones. Visitors and residents of the city are interested in gastronomic events in terms of a local product and for representatives of the hospitality industry, this can serve as an influx of tourists by expanding the range of tourist products of the city, shared Sannikova.
In addition, the regime will make it possible to attract those who wish to set up a business in a democracy.
However, the speakers reminded that Kazan should not be placed on a pedestal and other cities should not be forgotten. Eduard Zamaliev compared the capital of the republic with Moscow and St. Petersburg. Thus, according to him, Moscow remains the gastronomic leader.
– Moscow is a center of attraction, where all professionals are attracted. It’s like big-league football, says the chef.
According to him, not only are there many facilities in the Russian capital, but new trends are constantly emerging. In addition, the world Michelin restaurant guide has awarded stars to more than one Moscow institution. There are no such people in Kazan.
As for St. Petersburg, the tradition is very developed there. For example, at night the volume of work there is higher than in Kazan during the day.
– Due to the high demand in St. Petersburg, there is a large number of family cafes right in residential buildings, something like our “barbecue”, but one level higher. Also, almost every shawarma outlet (so called shawarma we are used to in St. Petersburg) has alcohol and seats. By the way, the usual tandem shawarma and pizza in some of them are foreign, but they have a great variety of falafel: fried chickpea balls, – said the expert.
Kazan, in his opinion, is not really the gastronomic capital of the country.
“This is more of a marketing ploy, organized by the Tatarstan authorities to attract the flow of tourists,” Zamaliev said. – But, as they say, Moscow was not built immediately. We have room to grow and someone to look up. We have our own culture, our own cuisine and our own local products that others do not have.
To become truly successful in cooking, one needs time, professionalism and a total contribution in this field, the expert believes. And the main impetus has always been demand and demand.
Read also: “Kazan is the gastronomic capital” – it sounds loud, we can only strengthen it “